Northwestern Indiana from 1800 to 1900A regional history written by Timothy H. Ball . . . .

Source Citation:
Ball, Timothy H. 1900. Northwestern Indiana from 1800 to 1900 or A View of Our Region Through the Nineteenth Century. Chicago, Illinois: Donohue and Henneberry. 570 p.






7. The Baptists.

Among the religious denominations the Baptists made the first start in White County, commencing evangelical work in 1834, the year in which the county was organized. The pioneer preachers were, with perhaps, some others, "Elders Reese, Corbin, and Miner." They organized the first church in the new county. For some reason -- Baptists are sometimes rather slow -- the Baptists in White County, for many years, erected no church building; but at length "bought the Old School Presbyterian Church." The noble, devoted pioneer ministers passed away. But in White County the results remained. Growth took place, a more progressive age, so called, came on. About 1860 was formed the Monticello Baptist Association, as elsewhere mentioned; and besides the church in Monticello, churches were organized called Pine Grove, Mount Zion, Brookston, Monon, Liberty Township, West Point, Wolcott, Burnettsville, and Chalmers. It is the main Baptist county in Northwestern Indiana. One of these churches named, the Monticello Church, has ceased to exist; but there are now nine living Baptist churches in White County.

Samuel Benjamin was the first Baptist minister whose name is found in the records of Newton County. The first Baptist meetings were held near the village of Brook. The churches of Newton now are: Prairie


Vine, Morocco, Mount Ayr, Goodland, and Beaver City.

In Jasper County are three churches, at Rensselaer with about ninety members, one called Kankakee, the pastor residing in North Judson, and the Milroy Township Church, organized quite recently by Rev. D. J. Huston with six members and now having about sixty, and its pastor, energetic, devoted, almost untiring in labors, passed several years ago that third "dead line" of three score an ten. There are sensible churches yet left in the land.

The first Baptist ministers in Jasper were Elders Joseph Price and Samuel Benjamin. Of the years of their ministry and the results of their labors no records are found.

In Starke County the first Baptist Church was organized December 3, 1899, with fifty-eight members through the labors of J. W. Keller, a licentiate. This is called the Nickel Plate Baptist Church.

In Pulaski County there is no Baptist Church.

The "first anniversary" of the Monticello Baptist Association was held at Rensselaer in 1860. Its organic life commenced with six churches. In 1867 Rev. D. J. Huston came into the bounds of this Association. He was soon chosen as Moderator and has held that office for twenty-five years. He is still an active pastor, having recently built up a promising and flourishing church a few miles south from McCoysburg and secured the erection of a neat church building dedicated in 1899. He was born in 1822, was a student at Franklin College and would probably have graduated in 1850 with the writer of this work, but duty of another kind seemed pressing, and he commenced pastoral work near Franklin in 1847,


in the church where Dr. T. J. Morgan's father's family were members.

In 1869 Rev. A. H. Dooley became a resident pastor and was elected after a little time Clerk of the Association. He remained in its bounds till 1889, having been pastor of the Prairie Vine Church for ten years. In forty years the Association has increased to sixteen churches. Present membership about thirteen hundred.

July 25, 1899, was an important day for this Association, and especially for the church at Morocco. The event, which on that day called many together, was the laying of the corner-stone for a Baptist church building. The exercises, all, were of large interest. Rev. A. H. Dooley read a paper giving the history of the Baptist churches of Newton County, and "Rev. D. J. Huston, who has almost reached the four score limit, gave a good address and laid the corner-stone."* Addresses also were given by Rev. V. C. Fritts of Rensselaer, Rev. W. F. Carpenter of Goodland, and Rev. J. C. Boutell of St. Anne, Illinois. Also by the pastor of the United Brethren Church at Morocco, Rev. W. F. Hunt, and of the "Christian" Church, Rev. R. S. Cartwright. "Our venerable brother, Rev. A. I. Putnam, led in prayer."** The address of Rev. J. O. Boutell was given in the open air at the new church corner, where prayer was offered, by Rev. A. H. Dooley.

"The Baptist organization of Morocco is in its infancy. The pastor is the brave, enthusiastic Rev. P. H. Foulk, who has undertaken a great work for the
*The Morocco Courier, July 29, 1899.
**The Standard, August 5, 1899.


town and community. The plan of the church, which is the product of Pastor Faulk's own mind, is of the institutional order. The building will contain, beside the ordinary auditorium and Sunday-school department, a library and reading room, a kitchen and parlor for social occasions, a well fitted system of baths, and a large modern gymnasium." The building is of brick and stone. The estimated cost five thousand dollars. This is the first building of its kind among the Baptists of Northwestern Indiana. Its success will be of no small interest among Indiana Baptists in the coming century.

The pioneer Baptist ministers in La Porte County were: Phineas Colver in 1833 and 1834, who organized the first Baptist Church in Stillwell Prairie in 1834; T. Spaulding in 1836; Alexander Hastings in 1837; Benjamin Sawin in 1838; Charles Harding, Augustus Bolles, and Samuel W. Ford in 1839. The church organized in 1834 took the name of Kingsbury, Elder Sawin became the pastor. It is a living church now.

The Rolling Prairie Church was organized June 23, 1836, "at the house of James Hunt," ministers present Elder T. Price of Michigan and Elder T. Spaulding of La Porte. Constituent members, "James Hunt, John Salisbury, Matthias Dawson, Nancy Hunt, Catherine Whitehead, Sarah Mason, Phoebe Hunt, Clarrissa Canada, Sabina Salisbury, Alsie Dawson, and Martha Whitehead."* In 1839 a church house "was built on the grounds of George Belohaw."

This was for some years a large and prosperous
*General Packard's History.


church, having in 1853 one hundred and forty-eight members. In 1861 it reported sixty-five members. In 1864 only forty-four. In 1870 "No report." It ceased to exist.

In the days of its prosperity it sent out several young men as ministers; among them Thomas L. Hunt, who in a few years finished up his life work in the county of Lake, where his dust reposes; as a man, a Christian, and a pastor, amiable, exemplary, and devoted beyond many; and J. M. Whitehead, a man of power, a tower of strength, among Indiana and Illinois pastors, for many years; a chaplain of note in the Union Army in the time of the war for the life of the Government; now in Topeka, Kansas, (1899), a man known and honored by many thousands.

The following extract from a letter written September 9, 1898, by John M. Hunt of Oakland, Oregon, to his cousin, Mrs. M. L. Barber of Burlington, Kansas, referring to this once flourishing church, is so applicable to other early churches, only changing names, that it is given a place here. To some yet living it will have a special, personal interest.

"There is one plain picture now before me that often presents itself, and that is, where we were often at church, your uncle Milton [Rev. J. M. Whitehead] and brother Thomas [Rev. Thomas L. Hunt] in the pulpit of the old church, your uncle Jasper and deacon Betteys just in front, and just behind on the next seat, uncle John Hefner, brother William, and uncle David Stoner, and a few others. Then your uncle Newton, and Alfred Salisbury, and several more male singers, and a half dozen female singers, rise and join in singing old Coronation; and as they


sing I see your Grandmother and Mrs. Betteys and your aunt Polly, and many others, all drinking in the music, while the seats on each side are full, but some of the faces are almost faded out, while many others are very distinct yet. Shall we meet again? Yes, in the great 'Beyond' we shall meet again. Those who have loved the Lord and tried to do His will, as they understood the word, will surely join in singing that 'New Song' that the 'Revelator' speaks of, whether they were members of our church or not, or may be not members of any church." Surely a blissful hope! And quite surely with no Baptist church building in Northern Indiana are more rich and pleasant associations connected than with that old frame building and its large, box-like pulpit of Rolling Prairie. Such men as have preached from that pulpit are not readily found now. The revival there in mid-summer of 1839, Elder A. Hastings, in the prime of his manhood, pastor, was one to be through life remembered. And the ordination there, February 27, 1846, of T. L. Hunt, Stephen G. Hunt, and J. Milton Whitehead, was one of the memorable occasions. "For nearly five years these three young brethren supplied the pulpit of the Rolling Prairie Church, preached in the neighborhoods around, and kept up, for a time, six Sabbath schools."

"During the five years of labor on Rolling Prairie about sixty were baptized by the three home missionaries."

But abundant as is the material we must leave this once consecrated place, where such men as Elder Hastings and Elder Sawin have been, and in the neighborhood of which they died, both living to an advanced age; and such visitors from Central Indiana


as Elder W. Rees and Elder U. B. Miller, and where Elder S. W. Miller, the veteran of all, so often preached. Of the last named, this record must be made. Born in July, 1812, married in Ohio in May, 1834, ordained at Belmont, for fifty-five years he was actively engaged in the work of the ministry, and is still living with his wife (1899) sixty-five years from the time of his marriage, in their comfortable and pleasant home in the city of La Porte, not able to engage in active duties as formerly, having been twice injured by accidents, yet enjoying a good degree of health. He can recall the names of some thirty ministers with whom he has been associated who have gone before him to the other shore. He is now more than eighty-seven years of age. Near him reside his son-in-law, Rev. W. S. Hastings, and at Door Village, one of his associate laborers, Rev. G. F. Brayton, both born March 24, 1822, both now retired from active ministerial labors, although ten years younger than Elder Miller. Honor should ever be given to whom honor is due. The pastors now are young. With some churches the "dead line" is fifty, and with some it is down to forty. Shame!

The La Porte Church was organized in 1838. This is now the large Baptist Church of the county. Its earlier pastors were Charles Harding till 1840; Silas Tucker, afterwards Dr. Tucker of Logansport, till 1845; E. W. Hamlin for one year, 1846; Morgan Edwards, "the sailor preacher," for a few months in 1849; R. H. Cook for a year and a half, to July, 1851; for a short time in 1852 again Morgan Edwards; S. C. Chandler, and in 1853 Gibbon Williams. In later years quite a number have been pastors, among them H. Smith, J. P. Ash, and Addison Parker. Present pastor, Rev. G. C. Moor.


The other living churches of the county are, Swedish Baptist at La Porte, organized in 1884, and the church at Michigan City, in 1889. Michigan City is another of those places where it has been difficult for a Baptist church to live. One was organized in that then young town in 1836 or early in 1837. Its life as a church was short. Again in 1853 a "newly constituted" church at Michigan City was "received" into the Northern Indiana Association. Pastor "Rev. A. Hastings." But soon its visibility was lost. A third church was organized in 1889 and it is not yet regarded as a self-supporting church. Seventy-nine Baptist are a small band among fifteen thousand people.

The early Baptist history of Porter County is obscure. Some claim that Rev. Alpheus French, known as Elder French, an aged Baptist minister, preached the first sermon in Valparaiso in 1836. Others think that a Baptist church was organized in Center Township in 1835 or 1836 by Rev. Asahel Neal and that he preached the first sermon in Valparaiso in the house of William Eaton. If such a church was organized it did not live. In 1836 there were in the county four ministers, Elder French, Baptist; W. K. Talbott, Presbyterian; Cyrus Spurlock and Stephen Jones, Methodists.

The present church in Valparaiso was organized June 10, 1837, with twelve members. First deacons, John Robinson and John Bartholomew. First clerk, Jacob C. White.

The name, First Baptist Church of Valparaiso, was adopted February 8, 1840. The first pastor was Elder French, who continued for five years. The second was H. S. Orton. The third was W. T. Bly, 1844


to 1847. The fourth was Elder A. Nickerson, for five years. The fifth was Harry Smith, 1854, continuing as pastor for six years. The sixth was G. T. Brayton for one year. The seventh was Jirah D. Cole, one year, May, 1861, to May, 1862. The eighth, J. M. Maxwell, nearly two years. The ninth, M. T. Lamb, one year. The tenth, Otis Saxton, one year, from October, 1867, to October, 1868. The eleventh, Elder Harper, for six months. June, 1869, "No pastor" is the report to the Association.

The next pastors were: W. A. Caplinger, two and a half years, W. A. Clark, nearly two years, E. S. Riley from October, 1875, to 1885 or 1886, then brethren Banker, C. J. Pope, Dr. Heagel, W. E. Randall, and W. E. Story, the last closing his pastoral work in 1899. In 1885 Rev. E. S. Riley was Moderator of the Association and Rev. C. J. Pope was Clerk in 1887 and in 1888.

The Northern Indiana Association with which the churches of La Porte, Porter, and Lake are connected, held its first annual meeting in 1837, extending into counties further east than at present. A division, for convenience sake, took place at South Bend in 1845, when 1,126 members were reported. Meeting in 1846 at Valparaiso, 654 only were reported. Of the pastor here at this time, a true pioneer minister, the following sketch is inserted:

Rev. William T. Bly was born in Norway, New York, January 20, 1812, studied at Hamilton, was married in 1839 to Miss Elizabeth Miller, sister of Elder Miller of La Porte, became pastor at Valparaiso in 1844. He also went into Lake County once in each month, and in 1845 was pastor there of the Cedar Lake Baptist Church, baptizing in that year, in the


Lake of the Red Cedars, T. H. Ball, Elisabeth H. Ball, Mrs. Sarah Farwell. Eli Church, and in January, 1846, Fanny C. Warriner. His salary was not large, and, like Rev. J. C. Brown, the Presbyterian pastor, he added something to it by teaching in Valparaiso a "day school."

He was a very earnest, devoted, faithful preacher and pastor. He was a pastor in Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Minnesota. He went into the last State in 1853, where he organized and assisted to organize several churches, and there died at Etna, June 16, 1897, eighty-five years of age. A few yet remain who knew him well in the days of his early ministry in Indiana.

In Lake County the pioneer Baptist families settled in 1836 and 1837 not far from the Red Cedar Lake. They were the large Church and Cutler families, the two Warriner families, and the Ball family.

Their church, taking its name from the lake, was organized June 17, 1838, Elder French, of Porter County, the minister present. Its pastors were: N. Warriner, ordained as its first pastor; W. T. Bly, A. Hastings, Uriah McKay, and Thomas L. Hunt. As missionaries and visiting pastors it enjoyed the occasional services of Elders French, Sawin, Whitehead, Brayton, Kennedy, Hitchcock, and N. V. Steadman, of Evansville, who in April, 1855, baptized the last member received into this church, Henrietta Ball, then thirteen years of age. In its life period as a church it had nearly one hundred members. It was quite a model church. Population changing, the record says, "some being about to remove," this church was disbanded January 17, 1856, having existed seventeen years. Its history is given in "The Lake of the Red Cedars."


Since the organization of that church in 1838, eleven other Baptist churches have been organized in Lake County, making twelve in all, and of these, two only, one at Hammond organized in 1887, and another at Hammond organized in January, 1899, are now maintaining church life.

In the life time of seven of the ten churches not now manifesting church life, were baptized one hundred and seventy-five, and of all these ten or twelve are now left in the county.

The Hammond church of 1887 reported in 1898 three hundred and two members. The "Baptist Messenger," a church paper, under date of January 21, 1899, says: "A few weeks ago the First Baptist church dismissed from its fellowship seventy-six members, who expressed their determination to organize a second Baptist church in Hammond. We understand that such church has about perfected its organization, assuming the name Immanuel Baptist church. We suppose that members of any society, who are dissatisfied with their relationship and associations, have a right to withdraw and make a society of their own."

The recognition of such a right is surely liberal and noble. Many have in the past denied it.

Of the first church at Hammond S. W. Phelps has been pastor since 1893.

In La Porte County the Baptists number about five hundred and fifty members; in Porter three hundred members; in Lake, at Hammond, three hundred; in Starke sixty, and in Pulaski, no church; in White about nine hundred; in Jasper one hundred and sixty, and in Newton four hundred. Total membership about twenty-six hundred. Of the eight county


seats, Knox, Winamac, Kentland, Monticello, Crown Point, have no Baptist preaching.

In the Northern Indiana Association, the churches north of the Kankakee, with 1,150 members, contributed in 1898, for their twelve different objects, $6,886, or less than six dollars for each member. In the Monticello Association, number of members 1,400, there was contributed in 1899, $10,456, or seven dollars for each member.

The Baptists do not seem to have held their ground well north of the Kankakee River. Nineteen churches have been organized in La Porte County; at Kingsbury, at Rolling Prairie, three in La Porte, three in Michigan City, at Door Village, Westville, Mill Creek, Wanatah, Pleasant Hill, Clinton Township, Macedonia, Salem, Galena Township, Byron, and Hudson. Of these four only are now living.

In Porter County have been organized the Neal Baptist Church in 1835 or 1836, the "First Baptist Church" in Valparaiso, the Twenty Mile Prairie Church, the "Second Baptist Church of Porter County," 1850, the Union Center and Willow Creek churches. And of these six there is one now living.

In Lake County churches have been organized at the Red Cedar Lake, West Creek, Lowell, Eagle Creek, Plum Grove, Hobart, Griffith, Ross, two at Crown Point, and two at Hammond. And of these the two at Hammond are the living churches now.

It thus appears that of thirty-seven Baptist churches organized in these three counties since 1834 but seven maintain an existence as this Nineteenth Century is about to close. It is easy to say that some of the thirty should never have been organized; and easy to say that some of them should not have been


disbanded; but who knows? Only the Omniscient One. In the seventy years of white occupancy many things have changed. Social centers and church centers grew up and changed; Baptist pioneers gave place to other settlers; pioneer centers ceased altogether to be central; and the German and Swede and Bohemian and many other immigrants now are on the localities where once the Baptist pioneers and the Methodist pioneers, and the Wesleyans and United Brethren met for worship. History teaches lessons. The Baptist history of Indiana never has been written. Its earlier history, in much detail, never will be written. But if, in many localities, in our good State of Indiana, Baptists have not flourished as have some other denominations, it has been in part their own fault.

Of seventy-five towns in the State, having each a population from five hundred to twenty-five hundred, and containing no Baptist Church, sixteen are in North-Western Indiana. Of nine counties with no Baptist Church Pulaski and Starke were two. And of twenty-eight county seats without a Baptist Church we have of these only five.

There may be such a thing as denominational pride, there may sometimes be even church rivalry; but the historic facts above recorded seem to teach that there is no need in every town, or in every county, for churches of each large denomination to exist. It is not so essential by what denomination the Gospel is preached. If in any community, and m every community, there is one Evangelical Church, then there the Gospel can go forth on its mission to the hearts of the people; and there may be found those who are among the choice number called "the light of the world" and "the salt of the earth."


Connected with most of the Baptist churches are Young People's Societies or Unions, the letters representing which are, B. Y. P. U.

North of the Kankakee River these are (1899) the figures including active and associate members: At Kingsbury 35, at Michigan City 37, at Valparaiso 40, at Hammond 62, at La Porte 75; total 249. South of the Kankakee, some reports for 1899, some for 1898, Seniors and Juniors, at Burnettsville 90, at Beaver City 35, at Goodland 124, at Milroy 71, at Monon 108, at Rensselaer 40, at Mount Ayr 28, at Sitka 67, at Wolcott 61; total 563. Grand total 812.

8. The Lutherans.

In La Porte County of this large and wealthy body of Protestant Christians there are two varieties, the churches being connected with two different synods.

At Michigan City are two churches belonging to the Ohio Synod. The buildings are nearly opposite each other, both large, massive looking brick structures, and each having a church school attached.

1. St. Paul's Church, families 500.

2. St. John's Church, families 475.

The other Lutheran churches in La Porte County are the following, the figures attached denoting the entire membership of all the families connected with each church, called the number of souls, the families averaging about six members each:

La Porte, George Link, pastor, 2,070; Wanatah, F. Heickhoff, pastor, 500; Tracy, 197; Hanna, 153; A. Neuendorf, pastor of both; Otis, M. C. Brade, 361. Also in La Porte a Swedish Lutheran.

In Porter County. Valparaiso, A. Rehwaldt,


640; Kouts, A. Baumann, 325; Chesterton, 135. A Swedish Lutheran at Baillytown.

In Starke County: North Judson, W. Roesener, 405; San Pierre, probably 200; Winona, 185.

In Pulaski County: Winamac, 65; Denham, 290; Medaryville, A. Baumann, 60.

In White County: Reynolds, J. Lindhorst, 393.

In Jasper County: Fair Oaks. G. Bauer, pastor, 125; Kniman, same pastor, 83; Wheatfield, perhaps 60.

In Newton County: Goodland, G. Bauer, 155; at Morocco, a congregation, 36.

There are also preaching places, with small congregations, number of members not ascertained, at McCool in Porter County; at Westville in La Porte, and at Hamlet in Starke County.

In Lake County are the following, with date of building attached:

1. Trinity Church at Crown Point, first building, frame. 1869; second, large brick building, 1886. Pastor from 1871 to 1890, Rev. G. Heintz. Since 1890, Rev. August Schuclke. Members, 594.

2. St. Paul's at Deer Creek, 1886. Pastor, Rev. G. Heintz, 80.

3. Trinity Church at Hobart, 1874, German Lutheran. Pastor, Rev. E. R. Schuelke. Members, 649.

4. Swedish Lutheran at Hobart, 1873.

5. St. John's Church at Tolleston, 1869. Pastor, Rev. A. Rump, 484.

6. Swedish Lutheran at Miller's Station, 189.

7. Church at Hammond, South Side, 1883; second building, brick, 1889. Rev. W. Dau, 1,257.

8. Church at Hammond, North Side, 1889. Rev. W. Brauer, 496.


9. Church at Whiting, Rev. P. Wille, 235. Orchard Grove congregation, 56.

9. "Reformed."

The churches of this variety of German Protestants are sometimes called "Evangelical," but are more commonly, by their American neighbors, considered as Lutherans. Holding to a great extent the doctrines taught by Luther, on some points of doctrine they follow the teachings of Calvin and Zwinglius. There are four churches of this variety in Lake County. Three are German and one is Hollander.

1. Zion's Church, in Hanover Township, north of Brunswick, established by Rev. Peter Lehman in 1857, with twenty-six members. A church building was soon erected and a church school commenced. Present membership ------.

2. Reformed Church near the southeast corner of Center Township, building erected in 1883. Members ------.

3. Reformed or Evangelical in Hammond.

4. Hollander Church in North Township near Lansing on the Highland road. Hollander settlement commenced on the Calumet bottom lands and along the Highland sand ridge in 1855. Church building erected about 1876. Entire membership about 300. There is also a Hollander Reformed Church at De Motte, in Jasper.

10. "Christians."

Some years ago Dr. T. J. Conant, one of the Bible Union revisers, mentioned a "large and wealthy community calling themselves 'Disciples of Christ,' the followers of Alexander Campbell."


The Journal and Messenger, of Cincinnati, October 5, 1899, mentions the Independents of England, the Congregationalists and the Baptists of America, and adds to these three varieties of Christians "Disciples," numbering, says the editor, hardly less than a million in all.

Why did that editor put quotation marks around Disciples?

In a table of seventeen denominations, including Jews and Mormons, published in January, 1900, by the "Independent," Christians are placed at 112,414, and Disciples at 1,118,396. Those called Disciples must be the body calling themselves Christians in Indiana, and in order to discriminate between Christians and Disciples as given by the "Independent," and between Christians as denoting those believing in Christ and Christians as denoting one variety of believers in Christ, quotation marks are, in this book, placed around "Christians."

In giving the history of Pleasant Township, which General Packard says was one of the most attractive parts of La Porte County, adding: "Its rich and flower clad prairies, its groves of noble forest trees, its numerous small lakes and flowing streams, combined to form a spot of unsurpassed beauty;" he makes this statement: "The earliest preachers in the township were Elder St. Claire, Campbellite; Elder Spalding, Baptist; and Rev. Geo. M. Boyd, Methodist." This sentence shows the titles in early times applied to ministers and the names given to three varieties of Christians. All readers will thus understand that by "Christians" Disciples, so called, are meant. This is a large and growing body of Christians.

So far as ascertained, they have three churches in


Lake County, at Lowell, in West Creek Township, and at Hammond. The Lowell church was organized south of Lowell in 1841, constituent members Simeon Beadle and his wife Sarah Beadle, William Wells and his wife Sarah Wells, Thomas Childers and his wife Sarah Childers, and J. L. Worley. In 1869 the members built a brick church in Lowell costing about four thousand dollars, of which sum one of the members, Henry Dickinson, gave twelve hundred dollars.

The church at Hammond was organized in December, 1888, by Rev. E. B. Cross. A comfortable building was soon secured, and a pastor resides in the city. The West Creek Church, a country church, was organized some years ago, and a good building erected, through the efforts of the Worley and Pinkerton families and some others who were members at Lowell. The location is a pleasant one.

In Porter County there are of these congregations four. In Valparaiso a church was organized with eight members, in 1847, by Rev. Peter T. Russell. In 1874 a large brick church edifice was erected and the congregation numbers more than a thousand members.

In Hebron a church was organized in January, 1870, with twenty-six members. A house was built in 1878 costing eleven hundred dollars. The first pastor was Lemuel Shortridge. Present membership has not been ascertained.

It is somewhat remarkable that the mother of Elder Shortridge, Mrs. Esther C. Shortridge, born in October, 1804, is still living, having quite good use of her senses and faculties, now almost ninety-six years of age. She has been a resident for a number of years with her daughter in the city of Hammond, and is


a noble illustration of what an aged Christian woman may be. Few are permitted to reach her age.

A third and a nourishing church is at Boone Grove, and the fourth is at Kouts.

In La Porte County there are churches at La Porte, organized in 1837 "by means of the efforts of Judge William Andrew and Dr. Jacob P. Andrew. Their labors were earnest, unremitting, and successful." This church has had both deacons and deaconesses. The latter at one time were Mrs. W. H. Calkins, Mrs. Angeline C. Wagner, and Mrs. T. J. Foster. The elders at that time were S. K. Pottinger and Isaac N. Whitehead. To have in a church elders and deacons and deaconesses seems like a return to Apostolic times.

In 1848 a church was organized at Westville by John Martindale.

About 1850 one was formed in Galena Township, "re-organized in 1872 by Elder Joseph Wickard."

In 1854 a church was established at Rolling Prairie which has been very flourishing, numbering in 1894 one hundred and sixty members.

About 1874 a church was organized at Wanatah, making five for La Porte County. Membership in the county in 1876, about five hundred. Other churches have been added to these, making seven for La Porte County, the church at Michigan City and one at Union Mills.

In Starke County, at Knox, a church was organized some years ago and a good building erected.

In Pulaski County are churches at Winamac, at Star City, and at Francesville.

In White County there are churches at Monticello, Reynolds, Wolcott, and Headlee.


In Jasper County are churches at Rensselaer, Wheatfield, Fair Oaks, and at Goodhope.

In Newton County, churches are at Kentland, Remington, Morocco, and Brook.

Note. For some reason or, perhaps, for no reason, it has been quite impracticable to obtain information, beyond my personal knowledge, in regard to the churches of this denomination. The pastor at Hammond, Rev. H. E. Luck, gave some valuable aid.



Transcribed by Steven R. Shook, April 2012


CSS Template by Rambling Soul