Union Center Cemetery, Union TownshipIndex of Union Center Cemetery burials . . . .
According to records of the Northwest Indiana Genealogical Society, the Union
Center Cemetery was located on the northeast corner of U.S. Highway 30 and 600
West. The cemetery could not be located in 1994.
The 1876 plat map of Porter County indicates that the land containing the cemetery was owned by Jerry Burge in a location commonly referred to as Union Center. Also located adjacent to the cemetery was an older United Brethren Church and a newer multipurpose building that served as School No. 2 (Union Center School) of the Union Township School District and the new United Brethren Church. The map suggests that the cemetery may have been associated with the United Brethren Church.
The United Brethren Church at Union Center was organized in 1872 with a membership of about forty. In 1876, the United Brethren Church completed construction of a new building -- the lower room of which the township used for a school and the upper story was used for church purposes. The church trustees in 1876 were John Hardesty, David Hardesty, Senior, Jerry Burge, Joseph Zea, Senior, and William Nichols. The church steward was Jerry Burge, while the pastor was Reverend Martin.
It is believed that when U.S. Highway 30 was constructed that any tombstones existing in the cemetery were either obliterated, buried, or removed to another cemetery.
NOTE: If you have information that you like to add to this database, including corrections, then please contribute it to Steve Shook.
BOOTH, Delila S. [Mrs. Palmer]
Note: An obituary for Delila Booth published October 23, 1879, in the Porter County Vidette, states that "The funeral of Mrs. Palmer Booth was solemnized Tuesday at Union Center." The Northwest Indiana Genealogical Society cemetery book for Union Township does not list any Booth, suggesting that Delila Booth was interred in the Union Center Cemetery.
HARDESTY, Catharine S.
Birth: June 12, 1822
Death: January 6, 1885
Note: Wife of Isaac Hardesty. An obituary for Catharine S. Hardesty published January 15, 1885, in the Porter County Vidette, indicates that "The funeral services were held on the 9th, at Union Center, and were attended by a large concourse of people, showing the high esteem in which she was held by her neighbors and friends. The remains were laid quietly to rest in the cemetery near by." Catharine S. Hardesty's remains are today located in the Mosier Cemetery.
Birth: January 20, 1805
Death: August 16, 1878
Note: An obituary for John Hardesty published August 22, 1878, in the Porter County Vidette, indicates that "After the services his body was deposited in the Union Center Cemetery -- followed thither by one of the largest processions ever seen on such a occasion in the township." John Hardesty's remains are today located in the Mosier Cemetery.
Note: An obituary for Earl Wilson published December 27, 1883, in the Porter County Vidette, states that "The pastor attended and conducted the funeral services of Mr. and Mrs. James Wilson's infant son Earl on Friday, the 21st inst. On Saturday, the 22d, he attended the funeral of Mr. and Mrs. Murray's child at Union Center." The Northwest Indiana Genealogical Society cemetery book for Union Township does not list any individual with the surname Murray who died in 1883, suggesting that this Murray child was interred in the Union Center Cemetery.
Union Center Cemetery data prepared by Steven R. Shook