Avery B. and Frances (Tilton) Weaver, BiographyPorter County biographical sketches . . . .
Transcribed biography of Avery B. and Frances (Tilton) Weaver
MR. AND MRS. AVERY B. (FRANCES TILTON) WEAVER
Avery was born in Rochester, N.Y. on May 15, 1900, son of Dr. and Mrs. John E. Weaver, where he attended public schools. He came to Valparaiso, Ind. in Nov. 1921, a Navy veteran of World War One, and enrolled in Valparaiso University, was editor of The Torch, cartoonist of The Record, received a B.C.S. degree in 1925. While attending the university he met Frances Tilton, of Valparaiso, student in the University Law School. They were married on Nov. 14, 1925, and moved to Chicago where they lived several years. In Mar. 1927 Avery accepted employment from Lynn M. Whipple, publisher of The Evening Messenger. In July, 1927, The Messenger merged with The Daily Vidette and the local newspaper was known as The Vidette-Messenger. Mr. Whipple passed away in 1939 and Avery continued the publication of the paper as general manager and treasurer until he retired in the fall of 1965. During his association with the newspaper he became known as "Mr. Vidette-Messenger," was active in civic, political and social affairs. He holds a life membership in the Valparaiso Chamber of Commerce for his dedication to the community; he served as a member of the board of the Indiana Rivers and Harbors Commission for a number of years; a plaque from the Rotary Club for his many years of devotion and loyal service, and a char ter from Gov. Whitcomb of the state of Indiana declaring him a Distinguished Hoosier for his dedication and loyalty to the state of Indiana, along with many other certificates of merit. He also obtained acknowledgement with his avocation, painting, receiving recognition and awards from both the Hoosier and the Northern Indiana Art Salons, as well as local exhibits. One of his oil paintings was selected by the Sloan Committee for its permanent collection at Valparaiso U.
Frances was born in Hays, Kansas, on May 29, 1904, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ira C. Tilton, both teachers and administrators in the Kansas public school system. They came to Valparaiso in 1907 where both continued their education at Valparaiso University. Mr. Tilton was enrolled as a student teachr and obtained his B. S. degree in 1909. Mrs. Tilton was active in school circles, the suffrage movement, Woman's Club, and the Methodist Church. She died on May 27, 1949. Mr. Tilton taught in the area public schools until 1914, when he opened his law office in downtown Valparaiso, and continued in active practice until his death on Mar. 31, 1971. He had a distinguished career in Valparaiso political, educational and community affairs. He was well known as a lecturer, writer, served as County Chairman of the Democrat Party, county attorney, city attorney, assistant prosecuting attorney, Judge of the Porter Circuit Court, ever willing to give aid to the underprivileged. The Bar Association of Porter County presented to him a plaque on Mar. 4, 1971, which reads "In recognition of 57 years of service to the citizens of Porter county in active practice of law and Juris Prudence, in Porter County, Ind."
Frances graduated from Valparaiso Public Schools, and the Law School of Valparaiso University in 1925, the first girl to graduate from the local H.S. to practice law and the first girl from the Law School with licenses to practice law in two states, Indiana and Illinois. She was an associate member of the law firm of Vose and Vose, 140 S. Dearborn St., Chicago, for a period of 7 years, during which time she was in civil practice in the courts in Chicago.
In 1933 she returned to Valparaiso when she was appointed fee attorney for the Home Owners' Loan Corp. (a special Act provided by Congress during the depression). She was in civil practice with her father, was the first woman to serve as special judge in the Porter Circuit Court, and was first Valparaiso City Planning Commission chairwoman. She served on the Valparaiso City Library board, the YMCA board, was county president of the Federated Clubs, president of the League of Women Voters, and the local chapter of Tri Kappa and held several appointments on Tri Kappa state committees, Presbyterian church boards, parliamentarian for the Porter Memorial Hospital Guild, from the date of its organization in 1939 to the present time, in addition to participating in community activities, in cooperation with her newspaper executive husband, Avery B. Weaver
Submitted by Avery B. Weaver
(Mr. Weaver passed away shortly before the publication of this history book).
Source: American Revolution Bicentennial Committee of Porter County. 1976. A Biographical History of Porter County, Indiana. Valparaiso, Indiana: American Revolution Bicentennial Committee of Porter County, Inc. 180 p.
Page(s) in Source: 173-174
This biography has been transcribed exactly as it was originally published in the source. Please note that we do not provide photocopies or digital scans of biographies appearing on this website.
Biography transcribed by Steven R. Shook