Historical Images of Porter County
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Unknown
Postmark: July 23, 1908, Valparaiso, Indiana
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: Built in the late 1880s, the student foot bridge over the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks, which was located adjacent to the Valparaiso University campus, was commonly referred to as "Lover's Repose." The foot bridge was common location for students to socialize; it also provided access to Sager's Lake on the opposite side of the tracks from the university. If a train happened to pass under the foot bridge while a young couple was crossing, then the couple was supposed to kiss until the train had passed. The bridge was condemned by the Valparaiso Board of Works and Public Safety on June 9, 1967, and dismantled later that year. The foot bridge was condemned because parts of the wooden structure were found to be decaying and unsafe. The steel portion of the bridge was purchased and removed by Bill Wellman and placed near Wellman's Restaurant on US Highway 30. On October 8, 2005, the original steel portion of the foot bridge was relocated back onto the Valparaiso University campus, led by the Valparaiso Chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers. This view in this image is looking east. The Science Building can be see to the left, as well as one of the towers of the Old College Building.
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images
Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.
Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook