Historical Images of Porter County
Long Lake, Scene Along Valparaiso & Northern
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Unknown (#31529)
Postmark: August 3, 1914, Valparaiso, Indiana
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: This image shows Long Lake along the Valparaiso & Northern Railway interurban, which ran from Valparaiso northward to Woodville where it connected with the Gary Connecting Railway. Incorporated in August 1908, the Valparaiso & Northern Railway construction was financed by citizens of Valparaiso and outside investors; the railway was to become one of the feeder lines the the Chicago-New York Electric Air Line Railroad. A section between Chesterton and Goodrum, located just north of Woodville, was completed and put into service on February 18, 1911. The section between Flint Lake and Woodville was completed on October 7, 1911; between February and October of 1911, a bus was used to transport passengers between Goodrum and Flint Lake. Complete interurban through service between Chesterton, Valparaiso, and LaPorte was possible after a bridge was constructed over the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad on February 17, 1912. Interurban service to Valparaiso ceased on October 23, 1938, largely due to the increasing use of automobiles, an improved highway system, and the financial depression.
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images
Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.
Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook