Historical Images of Porter County
Hotel Vendome, North Shore, Flint Lake
Source Type: Photograph
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Dodge's Telegraph, Railway Accounting and Radio (Wireless) Institute
Postmark: Not Applicable
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: Hotel Vendome would have been located at Edgewater Beach assuming that the caption is appropriately locating this photograph. As early as 1876, Mary Clay owned nearly all the property abutting the entire north shore of Flint Lake. Clay sold her property in 1890 to Howard Dickover, who then constructed a resort hotel and named the property Edgewater Beach. The resort included swimming, boating, camping, as well as some summer rental cabins. By the second half of 1910, Edgewater Beach had its own railroad station, which provided for easy access to the electrified Valparaiso & Northern Railway interurban line. A grocery store, called the Green Lantern, was also located on the Edgewater Beach site.
Flint Lake, Blackhawk, Edgewater, and Sheridan Beach Images
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images
Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.
Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook