Historical Images of Porter County
The Christian Hospital
Date: Circa 1907-1910
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Elmer E. Starr (#09 12613)
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: Dr. D. J. Loring constructed and operated the Loring Hospital in 1891 on East Jefferson Street in Valparaiso. The hospital could accommodate up to twelve patients and was the first hospital to operate in Porter County. In 1906, Dr. Simon J. Young approached the National Benevolent Association, located in St. Louis, to request that the Association partner with the Christian Church of Valparaiso in purchasing the Loring Hospital. The Association agreed to cover one-half of the cost of the purchase, while the local church covered the other one-half of the $13,000 purchase price. The Loring Hospital thus changed its name to Christian Hospital and operated until 1939 when Porter Memorial Hospital was constructed. After the sale of the hospital, Dr. Loring purchased the Hamel property located on the northeast corner of Jefferson and Washington Streets in Valparaiso and erected a second hospital. Following the death of Dr. Loring, Dr. J. R. Pagin purchased the property, later selling it too the Elks Lodge. After two years of ownership, the Elks Lodge sold the second Loring Hospital to the Valparaiso Women's Club.
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images
Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.
Image and related text prepared by Steven R. Shook