Historical Images of Porter County
St. Peter Lutheran Church, Reverend Beschere
Source Type: Photograph
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Drury, John. 1956. This Is Porter County. Chicago, Illinois: Inland Photo Company. 352 p.
Postmark: Not applicable
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: Also known as the German Lutheran Church, St. Peter Lutheran Church was organized at this site on 1880 by a group of local farmers of German heritage. The first pastor, whose name is unknown, was an itinerant minister serving several churches. Reverend J. A. Bescherer served the church from 1901 to at least 1956. The church seen here was at the intersection of Central Avenue and McCool Road. In 1936, the church had a membership of seventy-five, and included a Ladies' Aid Society and an Epworth League. A new church was constructed in the 1960s on the corner of Central Avenue and Mission Street in Portage.
McCool Images Index
Return to Porter County Photographs & Historical Images
Please contact the Porter County GenWeb Coordinator if
you can provide any additional information concerning this image.